- 1 cup Whole wheat flour (I like Bobs Red Mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 cup Milk (any kind)
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Small Zucchini
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1 Bell Pepper (any color)
- Guacamole (garnish)
- Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream (garnish)
- Taco sauce/hot sauce like Cholula (garnish)
Southwest Dinner Waffle
I love breakfast and Southwest dishes. Every now and then you have to make up excuses to have breakfast for dinner. Recently, my wife bought me a waffle maker to add a little creativity to the kitchen. I love the idea of waffles because you can make so many dishes and did I mention the toppings? Fresh berries, syrup, whipped cream, butter and the list goes on. I didn’t want the traditional sweet dish for dinner, however. I wanted a healthier, savory waffle for this meal. I quickly realized I could add protein to the waffle without using tofu. Enjoy this tasty dish that is packed with protein and vegetables.
- In a mixing bowl, make the batter by mixing the wheat flour, salt, baking power, milk, brown sugar, Greek yogurt, egg, and olive oil. This is similar to my Power Pancake recipe.
- Fold in the black beans.
- Cook the waffles until golden brown on a traditional or Belgian waffle maker – yields 3.
- For sides, dice potatoes, zucchini, and bell pepper. Chop onions. Use my baked home fries recipe to prepare these. Cook the zucchini, onion and bell peppers along with the potatoes.
- Serve with the baked veggie mix on top of the waffle. Garnish with shredded cheese, guacamole, Greek yogurt or sour cream, and Cholula Sauce.
Need a waffle iron? Click on the image below to shop on Amazon and have one delivered to your door!